Recent years have witnessed dramatic shifts in the role of managers. Traditionally, managers at departmental levels focused on administering and managing their operational functions and didn’t think of themselves as playing a part in the firm’s overall strategy. It is not enough for departmental managers to be able to explain why and how they do what they do. For managers to transform to a truly strategic role, they must be able to measure performance and to link their department’s contribution to the mission of the organisation. This course takes managers through the process of developing accurate, reliable, and balanced performance measures, setting appropriate goals and objectives, and best practices in appraising departments, teams and individuals using performance measures.
Who Should Attend?
This course is designed for Heads of Departments and Senior Employees that want to use perfomance management and peformance measurement based appriasals to drive strategic and operational improvements. In a three-day session, participants will be introduced to the latest approaches and prepared with the necessary skills, tools, and techniques to develop, implement and manage with a performance management framework.
The goals of this course are to: provide participants with a step –by-step guide to learn how to build, implement and manage with performance management systems; and help participants acquire and develop the necessary skills to implement a performance management system from goals setting to appraisal .
After completing this course, participants will:
- Understand what performance management is and the contribution it can make to implementing the organization’s vision and goals and objectives.
- Understand the role of strategic measurement and its use in managing strategy
- Use the performance management framework to create and monitor performance and recommend plans for implementation
- Conduct appraisals using performance management.
The first 2 days looks at methods for effective building and design of performance measurement. This is complimented by practical exercises to reinforce the learning through hand-on experiences
- Welcome and Overview
- What is performance management?
- Building Blocks of a performance management framework
- Destination Statement
- Practical Exercise on Destination Statement
- From Destination Statement to Strategic Objectives
- Building the Strategic Linkage Model
- Practical Exercise – Building Strategic Linkage Model
- Short Case Study
Guidance in building a building a performance management model based on the firms’ vision, goals and objectives and dealing with some of the important implementation issues managers are likely to face.
- Selecting Appropriate Measures, Identifying Ambitious Targets and Developing Initiatives
- Practical Exercise- Measures, Targets and Initiatives.
- Cascading and Implementing Key Performance Indicators
- Practical Exercise- Identification, Communication and Involvement of stakeholders
- Pre-requisite for Successful Key Performance Indicators Implementation
- Discussion: Aligning KPIs with Existing Systems and Processes.
- Short Case Study
It focuses on designing and conducting performance management based appraisals.
- Appraising employees using performance indicators
- Appraisals: Best practices
- Managing the appraisal process using performance indicators
- Using performance based appraisals to improve performance
- Course Summary and Finish
- Introduction to the course, the importance of interviewing
- Looking at the job description
- Preparing for the interview
- The setting for the interview
- Controlling the interview
- Questioning Techniques
- Open questions
- Avoiding closed questions
- Avoiding leading questions
- Simulation exercise
The importance of listening, and some techniques
The decision analysis process